Suggest medication for extreme pain post spinal fusion surgery

Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Infections
Question: I have 11 fused vertebrae, had 2 MRSA infections which required additional surgery. I have been treated with OxyContin and gently all for 4 years which was adequate for my pain. My doctor insisted on Botox and other injections which did not help. I have also read about the dangers these injections can impose. How do I find a doctor who will prescribe any pain meds (I read about methadone) because I can not continue to live in this pain. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pain and palliative care doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at HCM.
I understand your concern and situation.

I know what you are going through. You are already on oxycontin a synthetic analgesic drug which is similar to morphine in its effects and good pain reliever. But if it is not working then I would suggest you to visit a anaesthetic with experience in pain and palliative care. Such a doctor would be helpful. You can look for one in your area. As far as MRSA infection is concerned get treatment done based on antibiotics sensitivity testing. Have trust in God and practice meditation and yoga as it will be beneficial.

Hope I answered your query
Rating and review will be appreciated
Dr Sheetal Verma
Follow up: Dr. Sheetal Verma 15 minutes later
To make myself clearer, I was on OxyContin but the doc will not prescribe anymore because I refused injections. The oxy worked fine.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
See detail

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I would leave that between you and your doctor to decide whether to continue or not but yes if it works there seems no harm. But do consult pain and palliative care physician or anaesthetic for better alternative.

Keep smiling
Follow up: Dr. Sheetal Verma 6 minutes later
Also, my doctor told me he would lose his license if he did not give me shots. Any pain specialist I have looked up so far all give injections and do not prescribe pain meds. I do not know what to do at this point as I am hardly able to walk, sit, lie down in all this pain.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow your doctors advice.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I would suggest you to know that oral medicine would not be of much help than injectables. You have to counsel yourself.