Suggest medication for dry cough in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi Dr, my 19 month old child has cough and runny nose for the past 5 days. He had high fever only on the 1st day (monday), around 102 and i gave crocin drops. Now there is no fever but too much cough. It serms like dry cough. I tried Honitus but its not working, I am giving Tminic for cold and runny nose is better. He is cranky the whole day and his sleep is disturbed due to cough.
Elders in the house also had same problem and they are better with Lecet tablet and Kuffdryl syrup.
What can i give my child for cough? Please help. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation would be greatly beneficial.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Irrespective of use of antibiotics, it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. As you already mention, the fever is subsiding and so it is in the recovery stage.

You can continue the Tminic or Honitus but you should give steam inhalation to your child. Giving steam inhalation to your child helps in reducing the congestion. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Lecet syrup can be given. I would not suggest any other cough syrup.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 16 minutes later
Thanks Dr. What should be the power and dosage of Lecet syrup for 19 months old child?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Depends on the body weight of the child.

Detailed Answer:
It would be 2.5 ml once daily if his weight is lesser than 10 kg and 5 ml if his weight is above 10 kg.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 minutes later
Thanks Dr
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to write back directly to me if you ever have a health related query in the future.

Steam inhalation would also be relevant for adults (in the house as you've mentioned earlier) when they have cough.

Wish you all the best.