Suggest medication for diverticulitis

Posted on Fri, 5 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have problems with diverticulitis-have not had one for a couple years. This week after eating lots of berries and foods with seeds I am in the midst of an attack. My doctor usually prescribes ciproflaxin so I took the only tablet I had left right away and it got better but I am still cramping and bowel movements are the usual...mucousy and small amounts at a time frequently. The usual course it takes for me. I have a some tablets: cefadroxil....will that help until I call
my Dr. On Monday?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cefadroxil is not a good choice

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

No, cefadroxil is not a good choice as it does not have good gram negative bacteria coverage. A quinolone like levofloxacin/ moxifloxacin or Amoxicillin-clavulanate would be better options for empiric treatment in case of suspected diverticulitis. These medication would of course require a prescription from your doctor. Diverticulitis is actually the inflammation of one or more diverticular pouches due to herniated mucosa into the colonic wall. Bed rest, diet changes including a clear liquid diet and an antibiotic course will take care of mild to moderate diverticulitis in most cases. Complicated cases that do not cool down may require surgery. Signs and symptoms of Intestinal obstruction and peritonitis should also be evaluated in the physical examination.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil