Suggest medication for diabetes

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Diabetes
Question: I am a type ll diabetic and I test only twice a week. My last two levels were 203 and 307. I take 100 mg twice a day, or at least I am supposed to. I lost my bottle and I only had a reserve of 7 in my pill box and I am on a vacation morethan 2K miles away until next week. Are these levels dangerous? And if so, what do you suggest I do?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You should arrange more

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.

Welcome to HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney.

I understand your concern.
I need to know that the levels you have mentioned are on twice a day Metformin or once a dose?
Another thing is just confirm me that you are taking Metformin 1000 mg and not 100 mg.

I would like to tell you that the levels you have mentioned are not acceptable. In case they are on once a day dosing then you should immediately revert back to twice a day dosing.

And in case these levels are even after taking twice daily 1000 mg Metformin then in such situations I prefer to add Glimiperide 1 mg.

As you are on vacation and lost your medications, you can see a local General Physician and get a prescription for metformin and continue the same till you return back. After that you can see your diabetologist and discuss with him regarding your blood sugar levels and addition of Glimiperide.

If you have any further query please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari