Suggest medication for depression and anxiety

Posted on Fri, 19 Dec 2014 in Mental Health
Question: Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX suggested that I continue taking the Vyvance that I recently started and changing the 225mg of Effexor that I have been taking for more than ten years and replacing it with Prozac. I was wondering about suggested doses for drug resistant depression/anxiety. I'm seeing my family doctor tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The doses as you had requested

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
I understand that you have a resistant depression or a bipolar depression. Now that you have taken effexor for 10 years and still haven't got remission then it would certainly be wise in switching the medicine.
Coming to the option of switch,there are no specific protocol and definately as suggested prozac would be a good option. Prozac is started in the dose of 20mg and if required can be increased to 40mg gradually.
The other drugs that can be considered for treatment resistant depression are :
1) Divalproex sodium 500mg-1500mg
2) Lamotrigine 50mg-200mg
3) Carbamazepine 200mg- 800mg
4) Lithium 400mg -1200 mg
5) Thyroxine 25mic Gm - 75 mic Gm
6) Olanzapine 5mg-10 mg
All these drugs are used in treatment resistant depression and they are used alone or mostly on combination. You may discuss these options from your psychiatrist/family doctor who can guide you accordingly.
If you have any further quesry, do let me know.
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist