Suggest medication for depression and anxiety

Dr. Karen Steinberg

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Drug Abuse
Question: OK I am in contact with a close friend in XXXXXXX AZ area who is going through Vicadin withdrawl. She has gone 15 days with out the use. She is now suffering from depression and anxiety (has taken minimal amout of anxiety meds) but does not want to get addicted to antidepressant meds. She asked if I could find out if take one quarter of a tablet of Vicadin would hurt. Her Dr. prescribed 4 Vicadin per day hich is what she wants to get off.
Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
More Vicodin won't help and will hurt

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for using Healthcare Magic. If she is trying to get off Vicodin, taking ANY narcotic will start her right back into the addiction. It might give her temporary relief from depression/anxiety, but it will be very temporary, and she will get the symptoms back, along with cravings for the Vicodin. She has gone 15 days without, so she is through the worst of the withdrawal symptoms.

The anxiety and depression are most likely underlying problems that were masked by the Vicodin while she was taking it. These need to be specifically treated with antidepressants. Antidepressant medicines are not addictive like narcotics. They may have to be used for an extended period of time, but can induce a remission in the depression and then be stopped.

It is not uncommon to get off narcotics and then experience an extended period of depression. During this time antidepressants may be helpful and she may only need to be on them a few months. I suggest she see a psychiatrist and get started on some treatment. She may also want to join a support group for people with addiction, such as Narcotics Anonymous. But please, no more Vicodin!

Hope this answers your query. If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Karen Steinberg 28 minutes later
Thanks for your quick response. I have spoke with her and read your message. She has welbrutin to take right now but has heard several serious problems about it. Would this be the best step? Or is there a better antidepressant that she should ask her Dr. about. She is reluctant to take Welbrutin because of side effects.
Brief Answer:
Wellbutrin is okay; there are other choices

Detailed Answer:
Wellbutrin is an acceptable antidepressant. There are many other choices. All drugs have potential side effects. She might find a different choice has a more acceptable profile.

She should discuss alternatives with her physician and get a prescription. A physician should be monitoring her while she is taking the medicine. Antidepressants may take a little time before they start working. Also sometimes different ones must be tried before one is found that works best. There are now blood tests that can be used to help in selection of the best drugs. Her doctor or a psychiatrist should be able to help with this.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D