Suggest medication for cough with thick mucus discharge from the nose

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
My daughter is suffering from cough and cold. Cough is thick white in color coming from nose sometimes. Apart from Maxtra, do I need to give anything for cough ?
Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I need more information please

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... I understand your concern. I need more information before guiding you further.

Questions -

1. What is the exact age of the kid?

2. Since when is your daughter suffering from cough and cold?

3. Is there any fever?

4. Is there any difficulty in breathing or respiratory distress or fast breathing?

5. Is there any family history of wheezing or asthma?

6. Was your kid nebulized at any time for wheezing?

Please revert back with answers so that I can guide you better.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: Suggest medication for cough with thick mucus discharge from the nose 33 minutes later
she is 3 years old, suffering since yesterday, there is no fever, not as such, today morning after she woke up there too much cough which got reduced when cough came out from mouth but still cough is there. there is no history of asthma and never nebulized her any time.

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like a viral upper respiratory illness

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for the information. This looks like a viral upper respiratory infection.

Cough and cold are viral 95% of the times in children. For cold you can use anti-allergics like cetirizine pr Phenergan (as she is already 3 years old and for nose block, saline nasal decongestants will do.

For fever - Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (max ceiling dose 500mg) every 4-6th hourly, that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

For cold and cough you can use Syrup Phenergan 5ml 8th hourly for 3 days. But this is a prescription drug and you will require a doctor's prescription for it.

For nasal block, plain saline nasal drops will do, every 4-6th hourly to relive nasal congestion.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link.
Once the pageopens there will be an option below my image as – ASK ME A QUESTION – click on it.

Please find the link below -

www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani MBBS., DCH., DNB (Pediatrics).,