Suggest medication for cough in children

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: My son is occasionally coughing from last couple of days with running node. No other symptoms of uneasiness.
What step should I take next? Can I give him some medicine to ease coughing.

Thanks
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a viral infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Most often such symptoms occur due to certain viral infections and probably your child has such an infection. Such infections usually last for 5-7 days and then resolve on their own. Treatment is supportive. Give steam inhalation. Water in form of vapor will reach deep inside and will dilute the cough. If there is runny nose, give some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for next few days. If he has fever, give paracetamol or tylenol to bring down the temperature. Antibiotics would not help. No other medicine is required.

Feel free to write back in case of further queries.