Suggest medication for cough during pregnancy

Posted on Mon, 14 Dec 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Wife is pregnant by 33 weeks. She was suffering from viral fever, cold and dry cough. Following medicines have been prescribed. 1. Clavam 625 (antibiotic) for 5 days (course already complete) 2. Ambrodil plus for cough

Now, no fever but She is suffering from cough, seems the Chest is filled with pasum. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bronchitis

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
Your wife seems to be suffering from Acute Bronchitis.
Now, you should remember that during pregnancy any medicine should be best avoided because it can cause harm to the fetus.
However, if required they have to be given.
Now, Acute bronchitis takes time to settle down and it usually takes upto 2 weeks.
I personally recommend in pregnant females steam inhalation 6 hourly and anti allergic like Avil.
Ayurvedic cough formulations like Syrup Honituss are also considered safe.
So, i suppose that she should be given these medicines only and you have to keep patience as bronchitis takes time to settle.
In cases, where there is breathlessness, then nebulization is considered.
This is my personal opinion based on details available here.
Please share my opinion with your doctor.
If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 11 minutes later
Thank you very much for your reply. Can you please suggest some medicine. Should she continue the Ambrodil plus prescribed for cough.
As I mentioned the course for antibiotic is complete . Should we go for another course or wait. Actually I am worried about the upcoming child.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As discussed.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
A lot people use Ambrodil Plus in pregnancy but i avoid it as far as possible.
No antibiotics are further needed.
As discussed, it would take 2 weeks to show complete recovery.
I prescribe Avil , Honituss and Steam inhalation to my patients with these issues.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Dr. Anshul Varshney