Suggest medication for constipation in a toddler

Dr. Nagamani Ng

Posted on Mon, 9 Oct 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi Team,
My daughter Akhira 21 months old facing issues with tight motions going every alternate day that too with struggle for more 30 mins to 1 hr. This has started after consuming Bandy 10ml (5ml per day i.e on 2 nights). Two days back MR(Rubela) vacine was also given to her.
1. Stomach is normal
2. No issues with urination
3. Eating normal
4. playing as usual.
with this, am looking for a medicine which will help relive my daughter and go motion free atleast once a day.
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lactulose syrup

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting the query,

I suggest you to give Lactulose syrup for Akhira. It is given in a dose of 5ml 2 times a day 10 hours apart ie. 8am in the morning and 8 pm in the evening, for 10 days. This will reduce her constipation. Along with this give her more fluids, Juices and water. Add lot of fibers in food like apple, green leaves and legumes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng