Suggest medication for cold

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Good morning, I had a cold over the weekend, and I am prone to bronchial infection after any episode. Is there a preferable antibiotic?
I have used Cipro before, but do not want to use it often. Do you prescribe online?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
you'd better avoid it unless needed (please read on)

Detailed Answer:

first of all let me make clear that you can't get an online prescription through this website.

Regarding your current problem with the cold, I would suggest avoiding using antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. I'll explain what necessary means...

I suppose you have COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and/or bronchiectasis because these are the indications for using cipro for lung infections (otherwise we don't). In patients with COPD we prescribe antibiotics when they have at least two of the following:
- worsening of dyspnea (shortness of breath)
- increased quantity of phlegm
- 'colored' phlegm (yellow, green or dark) that is phlegm that's not transparent like the water.
The aforementioned criteria serve to distinguish between cases with and cases without lung involvement. Fever is a helpful sign.

The first criterion is the most important one. In patients with severe COPD we may initiate treatment with the first criterion alone but we usually need two criteria to do that.

Using antibiotics when not needed increases the likelihood of having resistant bacteria in your body which may cause serious problems for future infections. You're also in the risk for side effects without a solid benefit. Drugs like cipro in particular have to be reserved for the more serious cases.

So if you have any of the aforementioned criteria, then I suggest you visit your doctor for clinical examination, measurement of your oxygen saturation and appropriate treatment which may include inhaled drugs...

If the above discussion about COPD and/or bronchiectasis does not involve you then taking an antibiotic without medical assessment would the wrong.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!