Suggest medication for chronic diarrhea

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am 80 yrs. of age. I have had chronic diarrhea for 3 mos. I have been checked for C. Def and blood in my stool, both negative results. I have been given two medications, one for IBS and one called Viberzi. They both made diarrhea much worse. I am so stressed, I am under care of gastroenterologist and can't understand way he isn't looking for something other than IBS. Opinion please.

YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I'll help to narrow down the probable diagnosis but please provide more details as follows

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX, Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern..

Really sorry such a bothersome problem for so long..

I'll help you to narrow down the probable cause but please provide more details as I'm asking below which will help to specify towards the most probable diagnosis..

Lets discuss the diarrhoea in detail, how did it start, was there any previous history such diarrhoea before this past 3 months -

1. is it completely watery or somewhat formed ?

2. What is the color of the motion ?

3. Is it also containing mucus ? any foul smell ?

4. On an avg. how many times do you need to go in a day ?

5. Does it involve any crampy pain in lower abdomen which gets relieved after passing motion ?

6. Do you need to go immediately after eating or your able to hold it ?

7. Is there any abdominal bloating involved ?

8. Any particular thing (seems insignificant but can be really important) which relieves/worsen it ?

9. Any history of fever/weight loss/nausea/vomiting/heart burn ?

10. Is there any other medical/surgical history of any other ailment ?

11. Any other investigations have done yet (apart from stool for C.diff and OBT) ?

12. Have you undergone any colonoscopy/ upper GI endoscopy yet ?

13. Have you undergone any Hydrogen breath test yet ?

14. Any family history of IBS ?

15. Any history of any food intolerance ? (particularly lactose/fructose ?)

These look like a long list of questionnaire but please take a moment and answer them so that we can arrive to a certain point..

Yes, Eluxadoline (Verberzi) as well as Lomotil and Immodium all these are for IBS only..

I'd also suggest to do another stool routine microscopy to look for specifically any parasites/ova/cyst and test for Giardia, as well as Stool culture sensitivity if not done already..

Please don't take stress, as if it's IBS, it'll further get aggravated with stress..

I still believe your in good hands, however let me know all these details so that i can provide additional opinion which you can discuss with your gastroenterologist..

Meanwhile try to avoid high fructose containing diets, avoid dairy products (except yogurt/curd which is actually beneficial for you on daily basis)..

Take high fiber diets, avoid wheat/flour made foods and try to include whole grain food products..

Avoid too much caffeine, fizzy beverages, alcohol (if you consume)..

Awaiting for your response..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee