Suggest medication for chronic body pain caused by arthritis and fibromyalgia

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 3 Oct 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have chronic pain which is a result of arthritis, scoliosis, and fibromyalgia. I already take all the NSAID that my body will tolerate, but I still have daily, severe back pain. I have used Tylenol IV since 1996, but my pain doctors will not let me take more than 6 tablets a day which is not enough to allow me good quality of life. I do not tolerate strong drugs, such as Morphine, Hydromorphone, Oxycodone, or Norco. They tell me that Codeine without Tylenol is not available to prescribe for outpatient use. Is this true and if so, why?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Codeine alone is not available.

Detailed Answer:
It is true that codeine without tylenol is not available for outpatient use. Codeine alone can be abused and can cause addiction. If it is combined with tylenol then too much dose of codeine cannot be used for addiction purposes.
To control the pain it is best to consider going for local steroid injections after discussing it with your orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal