Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
125 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest medication for chronic body pain caused by arthritis and fibromyalgia

Answered by
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 12002 Questions

Posted on Tue, 3 Oct 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have chronic pain which is a result of arthritis, scoliosis, and fibromyalgia. I already take all the NSAID that my body will tolerate, but I still have daily, severe back pain. I have used Tylenol IV since 1996, but my pain doctors will not let me take more than 6 tablets a day which is not enough to allow me good quality of life. I do not tolerate strong drugs, such as Morphine, Hydromorphone, Oxycodone, or Norco. They tell me that Codeine without Tylenol is not available to prescribe for outpatient use. Is this true and if so, why?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Codeine alone is not available.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
It is true that codeine without tylenol is not available for outpatient use. Codeine alone can be abused and can cause addiction. If it is combined with tylenol then too much dose of codeine cannot be used for addiction purposes.
To control the pain it is best to consider going for local steroid injections after discussing it with your orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Local steroid injections

doctor1 MD

I am a 52 year old male. I continue to have stomach pain on a regular basis. It comes and goes and can be triggered by certain food. I have been...

doctor1 MD

How to treat trochanteric bursitis . Ihave been doing laser and ultrasound therapy for eight times and 70% of the pain is gone. Now i get thigh...

doctor1 MD

I have pain in my arms. Mainly around the front of my arm in the elbow area. It never seems to go away. So painful yesterday, I couldn't do any...

doctor1 MD

Hi I am a male in my early 40 and have plantar fasiitis for last 8 months... have tried insoles, night splint stretches and exercise as well as...

doctor1 MD

I hqave 2 herniated disc with leg and arm pain and numbness . I am in really bad pain, what do you suggest ?