Suggest medication for burning sensation in penis

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi Doc

For Few weeks Ive been walking with Chlamydia and Gonorrhea
I have started to get some very slight symptoms which are very slight burning in
the penis and slight soreness , but its not bad and very mild.

Since I am married and have children , I can not tell my wife
" honey I accidentally gave you Chlamydia and gonorrhea , but don't worry its nothing big just take few pills and we will be good as new "

So here is my question ,

What is the best drug to get rid off this pest in a single dose ?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reconfirm diagnosis.No possibility for single dose as allergic to Azithromy

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

You had mentioned burning of penis. Whether the burning is outside the penis or in the urinary passage?(while passing urine only or persist during all time).
Gonorrhea would likely to have florid manifestation with profuse discharge and severe burning during urination. So your problem is very much unlikely be due to Gonorrhea. If your burning is inside the urethra and experiencing during urination, the it could be due to Chlamydia or or other non-gonococcal urethritis. Presence of pus cells in the urine on microscopic examination will confirm urethritis.
Just mild burning of penis persists throughout the day indicates the possibility of an yeast infection. Confirm the diagnosis once again with the help of a Genito-urinary physician.

As you had mentioned that you are allergic to Azithromycin. Then there is no question of single dose therapy for Chlamydial infection. You may have to take multi dose treatment with Doxycyclin as per the advice of your physician.
Get Well soon.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 46 minutes later
Here is the thing , I never seen actual fluid drip out of my penis
but at times I had felt moisture in my underwear.

Also , as far as Azithromycin I have taken it before and after 2-3 days
my back was hurting , I assumed it was my kidney and I asked the doctor to
give me some other antibiotics.

So in essence I can take a single dose , if I have to

Will one dose cure the problem ?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Single dose Azithromycin is recommended

Detailed Answer:
Obvious discharge from Urinary meatus favors the diagnosis of urethritis possibly due to Chlamydia. Precum (normal) should be ruled out in this situation. Confirm with urine examination.
Allergic reaction to Azithromycin is comparatively very rare. It would not be the cause for any kidney pain and not a renal toxic. So you can take very well a single dose of Azithromycin along with some protection to stomach with either antacids or with PPI (protection from gastric ulcer) drugs under the supervision of your physician.
Dr S.Murugan