Suggest medication for blocked nose, fever and cough in a child

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor ,
my daughter 7 years of age is suffering from cold and fever. in the morning her fever was 102 but after giving crocin D's 10 ml twice she is not having fever but her nose is running with cough in neck. we have given honitus once but she voMited. now no fever but choked nose and cough. can you advise what medicine we can give
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral illness - don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

Cough and cold are viral 95% of the times in children. For cold you can use anti-allergics like cetirizine and for nose block, saline nasal decongestants will do. Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (max ceiling dose 500mg) every 4-6th hourly, that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.
For cold you can use Cetrizine at 0.25mg/kg/dose every 12 hourly for 3 days.
For nasal block, plain saline nasal drops will do, every 4-6th hourly to relive nasal congestion.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad