Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis
Lactulose is a safe laxative with history of colitis.
I am sorry you are having difficulty.
With a history of colitis, lactulose is considered a safe and effective laxative.
Usual dose is 15 ml of lactulose by mouth, once a day; and repeated until normal bowel function resumes.
Lactulose is an "osmotic laxative" meaning it draws water into the stool.
If you have a history of this problem happening, once this episode passes you might want to try a soluble fiber agent such as methylcellulose (Citrucel is a brand in the U.S.) which doesn't ferment. This can help keep your bowels regular. But start with only a small amount at first.
In terms of dietary help, stewed prunes can sometimes be helpful. Or prune juice.
There are other laxatives available, such as Docusate sodium, but if there is any risk that you are completely obstructed, it would not be advisable to take this one.
I hope this information helps and that your are feeling better soon! Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Drugs/medication for Colitis
- Colitis and bloating
- Drugs/medication for ischaemic colitis
- Drugs/medication for neutropenic colitis
- Suggest medication for ulcerative colitis
- Drugs/medication for induced colitis
- Drugs/medication for radiation colitis
- Drugs/medication for aggressive colitis
- Drugs/medication for inflammatory colitis
- Drugs/medication for pseudomembranous colitis
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis