question-icon

Suggest medication for bipolar disorder and sleep disorder

Posted on Mon, 16 May 2016
Question: which drug combination is helpful to me as i m suffering from bipolar didorder as well as sleep dis order since 1998?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
It depends on current situation

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using healthcaremagic.

There are many medications which can be used in bipolar disorder in different phases of the disorder.

If you have mania or hypomania than the commonly used medications are atypical antispychotic, lithium and sodium valproate. Among this I refer resperidone and olanzapine.

In case you have mixed episode lithium is most preferred mdication along with atypical antipsychotic.

In case you have bipolar depression the drugs used include combination of olanzapine and fluoxetine or quetiapine.

So I must inform you that bipolar disorder is a group of disorder and treatment depends on the phase of disorder. No treatment is suitable for all patients and every patient with bipolar disorder needs different treatment. I request you to discuss all these issues with your doctor.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist