Suggest medication for better milk production

Dr. Monika Choudhary

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: I have a 10 weeks old baby and I'm breastfeeding her. Can you please suggest some medication for better milk production.
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 27 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Breast milk production is under hormonal control that is prolactin & oxytocin.
As you start feeding your baby these hormonal production naturally increases in your body to secrete breast milk.
Except hormonal level many other factors also increase milk production like-
1. Feeding on demand means whenever baby cry you start to feed him or her.
2.High protein diet( during lactation you would have to take 15 grams extra protein as compared to pregnancy)
3.Oral intake of plenty of fluid
4. Avoiding contraceptive pills that decrease milk production.
Keeping all these points in mind you feed your baby definitely you will get good results.
If still milk production is not good you can take Domperidone,metoclopramide(normally these drugs are used to prevent nausea & vomiting but they also increase milk production).
I hope your query has been answered. I will be available for your further queries.