Suggest medication for anxiety and depression

Posted on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I am researching some other medication options for my daughter (age 19) She has definite anxiety with some depression. Was put on Effexor (150 mg to start then the GP changed it to 75 mg then to 37.5mg because it made her feel 'loopy') I think she needs something entirely different that treats both anxiety and depression. She was dx with ADHD at age 6. Has had depression and was on Wellbutrin before which worked for depression. Now she has significant anxiety episodes. So, I am exploring 1) a daily medication to keep her anxiety and depression stablized 2) a medication for when she does have an acute anxiety attack. thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
SSRI are recommended

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using healthcaremagic.

Although Effexor is considered good option but not everybody tolerates it at higher dose.

Since she was having side effects with effexor (SNRI) in my opinion she should be shifted to any of the SSRI group of medications.

SSRIs having least side effects among the anti depressant medications which are useful for both anxiety and depression.
The available SSRIs include Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Lexapro, Celexa and Vibryd.

You can talk to your doctor about these options. They are equally effective although Lexapro and Zoloft have more favorable data in compare to others in regard to depression but in anxiety there is no such differences noticed.

I will recommend prozac for her as it is activating medication and do not cause sedation in majority of patients. In addition it have robust data in adolescents as well as adults.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist