Suggest medication for allergy

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 19 Nov 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: What is the best over the counter medication for allergy symptoms that include red itchy eyelids and dry itchy lips. I am currently taking Brintellix 20mg a day and alprazolam 1 to 2 mg a day. I have used carmex on my lips for years but it doesn't work anymore. I have been using Pataday Sol 0.2% OP for my eyes. It helps a little. I have an appointment with an allergy doctor for testing, but the soonest they could get me in is January 21, 2015. I may have developed an allergy to my cats (I have two), but I have had cats since 1992 and never had a problem before.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need anti allergic treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Thanks for your question on HCM.

You most probably have an Allergic disease. And this can be due to cat only. As cat fur is highly allergic material.
And the drugs you are taking is for psychiatric illness. It has no role in allergy.
Your eye drops are good. It is having antihistamines and useful in allergic eye symptoms.

I advice you these treatment for early relief from allergy.
1. Avoid cats if possible. As if this is the trigger for your allergy then with out this, control will not be possible. So if possible complete avoidance of cats is needed.
2. Start leukotriene receptor blocker with antihistamines combination. Easily available in market.
Once daily at night to be taken.
3. Start low dose steroids for 10 days.
4. Drink plenty of fluids and keep yourself hydrated.
5. If itching is more then take antihistamines twice daily.
6. Continue pataday eyedrops.

Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further.

Wish you good health.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari