Suggest medication for abortion

Posted on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: hi madam iam from hyderbad aged 27 we got married recently , i just lost my period date on 28 i have gone through pregnancy test which resulted positive , as i dont want to have this pregnancy now can u suggest me wat medication should i undergonow. me along with my husband are waiting for ur answer
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tablets should be used after ultrasound

Detailed Answer:
Up to 8 weeks of pregnancy medical termination with tablets is possible.
For that:
-You have to consult gynecologist once, get examined and have to undergo ultrasound.
-Ultrasound is needed to confirm the intrauterine pregnancy, to estimate the gestational age and to rule out ectopic pregnancy.
-Then depending on the gestational age, with your doctor's advice you can use tablets.
-Taking tablets without ultrasound and doctor's checkup can lead to complications.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 29 minutes later
hi madam,

we are not satisfied by your answer as it was just two weeks of pregnancy , we asked u to suggest any medication kindly do the needful
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to use after doctor's checkup

Detailed Answer:
Usually gestational age should be calculated from the date of last menstrual period.
In that way now it is around 4 weeks of pregnancy.
Why I insisted for doctor checkup and ultrasound is,
-During abortion blood loss will be more compared with regular periods and other complications like severe pain abdomen etc may occur.
So, to check the hemoglobin level etc general examination of the woman is needed.
-The necessity of Ultrasound already I told to you.
Sometimes pregnancy can occur outside the uterine cavity, which is called ectopic pregnancy. If you use tablets without ruling out ectopic pregnancy, that can lead to complications like rupture etc.

This is all not to frighten you but telling the correct process.
After confirmation of intrauterine pregnancy, with your doctor's advice you can take mefipristone and misoprostol tablets for medical abortion.
Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN