Suggest medication for abdominal cramps, bloating and diarrhea

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 1 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: This is for my 86 year old Mom, when she is having a diverticulitis attack; which for her is a cute cramps, bloating and diarrhea. This is typically early AM or would wake her up in the middle of the night.
Can she use like GAS-X & Amonium AD? And Tylenol? She refuses to have pain medications. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

Yes, Tylenol can be used and this is the best option, but painkillers such as Tramadol or Ibuprofen should be avoided. Ammonium AD is a better option than Gas-X but generally, both can be used. However, if there is fever, constant pain or blood in stool then antibiotics are required and perhaps hospitalization.

It is also necessary to change diet, have more fluids and eat a high-fiber diet. Whole-grain pieces of bread and cereals, brown rice, and fresh fruits and vegetables can all be part of a high-fiber diet.

Feel free to ask further.
Wish her a good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee