Suggest medication for Entamoeba histolytica infection

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have amoeba hystolitica and have had 2 years with Meds not working to clear this. I now have a uti and think the parasite is now located there. I am beyond frustrated and scared. I live in NY and need a good doctor to see. Dr Cahill is my present doctor. Why are the Meds not clearing this?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
unclear why it is not clearing

Detailed Answer:
Hello and I am sorry you have had such a long and trying course with this infection.
In the US the most common drug used to treat Ameobic infections is metronidazole but the other medications you have been on should also be effective. Tindazole is listed as an alternative to metronidazole.
Aany time you have such a persistent infection it is important for you to see an infectious disease specialist.
Since you are in NY, I suggest that you ask Dr. Cahill to refer you to XXXXXXX or Mt. Siani to an infectious disease specialist.
This should not be going on for such a long period of time and it is very important that you see a specialist as soon as possible
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 14 minutes later
He is an infectious disease specialist
Deals mainly with parasites
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
then I would find another one

Detailed Answer:
If he is an ID specialist then I would ask your primary care doctor to send you to another ID specialist at one of the big teaching hospitals near you.
K. Robinson MD
Dr. Kathy Robinson