Suggest medication dosage for mycobacterium tuberculosis

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 31 Dec 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Dear Sir,
I have been prescribed for the tablet AKuriT-4 tablets for the Mycobacterium Tuberculosis. I was prescribed by my Doctor suggested as mentioned below,
1) I should take one tablet after breakfast & 2nd tablet after 10 minutes gap with first one tablet for initial 5 days.
2) From 6th day onwards, i need to take 3 tablets with the 10 minutes interval for next five days.
3) From 11th day onwards, i need to take 4 tablets with the 10 minutes interval for TWO months.
Dear Sir,
Please advise me on the above prescription as i am under confusion about the prescription suggested by my Doctor. My Age:32, weight 52kg & Female.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
don't follow this.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, thanks for your question on HCM.
In my opinion you should not follow this regimen. It is not standard practice to give anti tb drugs in such a manner.
According to your weight you need
1. Rifampicin 450
2. Etambutol 800
3. Pyrazinamide 1500
4. Isoniazid 300.
And all drugs you need to take at a same time. Best is before breakfast on empty stomach. But due to gastritis you can take all drugs after breakfast.
Akurit 4 when given in 4 tablet dose it will be higher dose and so the side effects will be more.
Better to take AKT 4. It is having blister pack of 3 tablets and 1 capsule. You need to take 1 blister pack daily for 2 months.
So don't take Akurit 4. And don't take it in a way you have been prescribed. It is totally wrong prescription. Instead, take AKT4. It will be perfect for your weight.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj