• question-icon

Suggest medication dosage and diet for typhoid

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Infections
Question: My husband has IgM positive but IgGnegative typhoid.what does this mean ?what medicines to take and avoid?what diet to take?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treatment with antibiotics needs to be done

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking once again on HealthcareMagic.

A typhoid IgM positive indicates recent infection with typhoid. Typhoid IgG negative indicates the possibility that he had not suffered from typhoid earlier. In any case in case of the recent infection treatment with appropriate antibiotics like ofloxacin or cefixime. The antibiotic needs to be taken for 7-14 days depending upon the severity as well as the clinical judgment of the treating physician.

Generally during typhoid, a bland diet is preferred. Though bland, the diet should be nutritionally adequate to meet daily calorie requirements of the body. Initially fluids in the form of tender coconut water, barley water, electrolyte fortified water, fresh fruit juice, vegetable soup, buttermilk and water could be consumed until body temperature comes back to normal. Then he can gradually start taking fruits like bananas, cantaloupes, watermelons, grapes, peaches, and apricots. As the appetite gets better, semi-solid foods can be given. Boiled rice, baked potato, soft-boiled or poached eggs, baked apple, curd, vegetable soup can be given. Fruits, boiled vegetables and unrefined foods like unpolished rice and white bread can be included. A typhoid recovery diet plan should include yogurt and eggs, as they are easier to digest than meat and provide adequate protein. For vegetarians, lentils, legumes and cottage cheese, meet the protein needs.

It is advisable to avoid vegetables like cabbage, capsicum and turnip as these can cause bloating and gas. Oily foods, spices and seasonings like pepper, cayenne and chilli powder should be avoided.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha