Suggest medication and dosage for anxiety when on BP medication

Posted on Thu, 18 Dec 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I just change my bp medication. I was on lozartan 50 mg for long time. I'm scare of everything and with a lot anxiety and my doc gave to me nadolol 40mg(am) and lisinopril 20mg(afternoon). I travel a lot for my job but I can travel without take a 5mg diazepan. Now I have thos trip on Dec 2. My flight leave at 7:am and I need to take nadolol at 9pm and I dont know if is to much or if I will be ok. How long time from the bp medicines I need have for take diazepam diazepam.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take them together also.

Detailed Answer:
HI
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

Diazepam is a sedative-hypnotic drug and it helps to control anxiety. You can take it with nadolol without any major side effect or drug interaction, but remember this, it is a long acting sedative and you could remain drowsy due to diazepam for longer period. Better to take short acting sedative like alprazolam or clonazepam on sos basis. All benzodiazepine are relatively safe with antihypertensive and you can take any of them without worry. Please discuss all about this your doctor.

In case, you have any more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 41 minutes later
Doc thanks for your answer. I will take diazepam 5mg at 5:30 am and nadolol at 10:00 am. The flight it is only 3 hours. The flight back it will be 7:30 pm and I will take the diazepan 5 mg probably at 6:00 but I need to take lisinopril at 3 or 4 pm. I'm afraid if I take the two medicines close I will not be ok. I take diazepam for flights for a long time and never feel dizzy or something but I don't know how it will react with this 2 new medicines I'm taking. Thanks Doc I thing I just scared about this new medicines.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no drug interaction between them

Detailed Answer:
Hi

All antihypertensive drugs show response for whole day and these drugs do not have any drug interaction with benzodiazepine like diazepam. If you do not feel any drowsiness with diazepam, then you can take diazepam with nadolol and lisinopril without any doubt. It would not give you any harm. Just relax.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist
Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist