Suggest medication and care to relieve pain and heal the injured buttock muscles after a fell

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 19 Sep 2018 in Lump
Question: 2 weeks ago, I fell on my deck wooden step. I went straight up in the air and landed full weight on my left buttock. I have had X-rays & seen my Doctor. It appears I may have severed my buttons muscle.
what if any recommendations do you have
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Rest, proper hydration and pain management.

Detailed Answer:

Hi!

The good news is that there is no fracture. The muscle of the buttocks are huge and while it might have been severed, there is no complete disconnect.

It requires time to heal and all will be fine. Measures to a dress pain such as pain medications, ice-packs and rest are advised. There is no other specific drug that is required in this case.

If your pain is well managed, there is no other reason to worry.

If it is not well managed, I recommend Tylenol, at most 4 times a day and continue with the steroids.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.

Take care,
Dr. Chobufo Ditah, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 29 minutes later
I have an extremely large & solid shelf on the upper portion of my buttocks & a defined line where I landed. I also have active bruising still. the bruising is massive and huge - covering more than 90% of my left buttock. It is still purple/pink/red - not green/yellow - indicating bleeding is still active. I also have severe pain where muscle seems to be coiled up in ball
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bleeding is no longer active.

Detailed Answer:

If you were still bleeding, the pain and size would have been out of proportion. This is no longer the case.

The blue/purple color is consistent with trauma to this area. This is the color of blood in tissue and it is being actively absorbed.

If you think the size of this area is increasing, let me know. You could also upload an image for review. No green/yellow shows that there is no ongoing infection.

We need to manage pain as recommended above. Be calm, relaxed and patient.

It requires several weeks for resorption to be full. In the interim, good pain management is most crucial.

I hope this clarifies any worries. I wish you well.

Take care,