Suggest medical tests to rule out urinary retention

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: How does a urologiacalst check male blatter that is not emptying properly????

Can the procedure be performed in his office.?????????
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post void residual

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You are wondering how a urologist checks your bladder for not properly emptying. They can do it several ways. The first time the stream to see how much urine you can void in a given amount of time. Then measure that amount. Once you have emptied your bladder they will insert a cathater and measure the amount of urine that is still left in the bladder. This is called post void residual. Once they determine the flow and residual urine they will give you a diagnosis and treatment options. They may ask for additional testing and possible cystoscopy which is taking a scope and looking into the bladder. They may or may not be able to do the cystoscopy in the office.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions