Suggest medical tests to rule out GCA
Giant cell arteritis and PMR are closely related. Often GCA is difficult to diagnose with ultrasound. The follow up is largely based on your symptoms, CRP /ESR levels.
So you could still be having GCA with a normal ultrasound. I hope you are being followed up by a rheumatologist.
Need prophylaxis agaist osteoporosis
ESR of 33 is little high. Prednisone need to be continued for a longer time in larger doses to acheive remission. Sometimes, intravenous high dose steroids for few days are helpful for rapid control. I hope you had a temporal artery biopsy earlier.
You should also take Calcium 1000 mg per day and vitamn D 1000 to 2000 units a day to protect the bones from osteoporosis while on long term steroids. In addition, your doctor should give you bisphosphonates (Fosamax/alendronate) for bone protection.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Drugs/medication for Classic gca headache
- Done with the cholesterol test give suggestion and medical prescriptions
- Suggest medication for abortion and ways to test for pregnancy
- Drugs/medication for ruling out tumour
- What is the suggested medication after analyzing the blood tests
- Tests to rule out als
- Irregular periods took deviry doctor ruled out pregnancy safe suggest
- Difficulty in losing weight following diet rules strictly suggestion
- What tests should be done to rule out hiv
- Done montoux test suggest treatment or medication