Suggest medical test to rule out pregnancy

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi Doctor,i have a question,Actually i want to confirm my pregnancy,but am little confused,my period was stopped & this is my second month i didn't get my period,but when i tried to confirm it by pregnancy test kit,it was showing negative,my last menstrual cycle date is feb 5 th & me & my husband participated on Feb 9th,how can i confirm that i am pregnant or not,we are planning to have kids after 2 years,bcz we got married recently,we want to take some time.can you help me please.
Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do beta-hCG test for confirmation of pregnancy. Follow rest.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

I suggest you to undergo one blood test for beta-hCG to confirm pregnancy and it is more reliable than usual home pregnancy test.

On negative test, you have to undergo one pelvic ultrasound scan and complete hormone profile to rule out underlying pathology and pinpoint the diagnosis.

You may need to take progesterone pill like Norethisterone etc to induce period. Kindly, consult with your OBGYN for proper guidance and complete prescription.

You must take a healthy balanced diet with IRON supplements or foods. LOW carbohydrate diet is preferable. Avoid salty, fatty or fast food.

Do light to moderate exercise for physical fitness, weight control and avoid mental stress completely by regular meditation/ yoga. Maintain a healthy life style always.

Hope, it helps for your information. Wish your good health and take care.

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 7 minutes later
Hi thank you for your answer,I have one more question,may i know from when the pregnancy period is started,like i mean to ask whether it is started after 1 month of the regular cycle,can you explian me in detail.&
If i test Hcg with pregancy test can i test early in the morning or the first urine is passed.can you help me out.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy period counted from D1 of last cycle.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Thanks for your follow up query.

1) If you become pregnant in current cycle, then your pregnancy period will be started or counted from D1 of last menstrual period.

2) If you want to do home pregnancy test, then first morning urine is best and it will give most accurate result due to high concentration of hCG.

Hope, it helps for your information. Good luck and take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee