Suggest measures to take post head injury

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 13 May 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: What should I do or avoid after a head injury? Exercise?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: monitor and start exercise slowly Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic You would need to monitor for any of the criteria that indicate that imaging is required. According to the new orleans criteria, if one or more of the following are present then a CT scan is needed: (1) headache (2)seizures (3)memory loss (4)drug or alcohol use (5)age over 60 (6)vomiting (7)visible trauma above the clavicle In addition to monitoring for any of the above, you should avoid alcohol use and the use of any sedating medication while any symptoms persist. The reason for this is that alcohol and these medications cause drowsiness and worsening head injury can also cause drowsiness.It would be difficult to figure out which was causing this symptom In terms of the exercise, normally there is a waiting period of at least 1 to 2 weeks, it can be longer in some persons depending on recovery. When you do start to exercise- start slowly and increase gradually, choose low impact exercises such as walking or cycling Avoid any exercises that overload the joints or increase the risk of falling. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
I feel a little numbness where I hit my head, but none of the symptons that you mentioned above. I did exercise last night, an exercise bike and Total Gym. I want to exercise again, today.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: can continue Detailed Answer: HI If you are not experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned then you can continue to exercise but you may want to reduce your normal pace and intensity for a few days ( 3 to 4). Please feel free to ask any additional questions