Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Suggest me treatment for severe nasal congestion

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
My husband has severe nasal congestion year round. He is constantly blowing his nose with extra thick XXXXXXX mucous. He has been on antibiotic and has gotten allergy shot nothing seems to work. Any suggesrions
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer: fluticasone nasal spray Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Your husband seems to be having nasal congestion due to allergy as his synptoms are persisting for almost a year. Further there is a possibility that there may be a secondary infection as well. Its unfortunate that the allergy shots have not helped. Suggestions: 1. Choice of antibiotic. He will need a proper antibiotic cover. The antibiotic can be identified by doing a culture and sensitivity testing of the mucus. In that case it will be specific. Mostly cefexime or augmentin will be helpful. 2. Steroids. He can take fluticasone nasal sprays which will reduce the allergy locally. They are very effective and they need to be taken daily. The next option would be to take a course of oral prednisolone which will certainly reduce the allergy. 3. Warm saline gargles and steam inhalation will help him a lot. Let him do it 2-3 times a day. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest me treatment for severe nasal congestion 10 minutes later
Hi hes tried that nasal spray it didnt work. But we will ask the doctir about doing a culture thanjs fir that advice. Oh and is their a specialist that he can go to for this
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Immunologist Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up. Immunologist are the specialists who deal with these issues. However they are not commonly found and mostly the ENT specialists are the people who deal with these cases and they are also commonly found. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest me treatment for severe nasal congestion 1 minute later
Ok thank u!!
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 27 hours later
Brief Answer: Regards Detailed Answer: Hello It was nice to know that my efforts were useful to you. If you find time, do try to give a feed back that will improve or service further. Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor