Suggest long term methods of contraception

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
HI My name is XXXXXXX And i am 25 weight 42, Height 5'.

I am pregnant twice and my mother in law aborted the child because it was a girl, So i don't want to pregnant or mother anymore, Can you please suggest some medicine and procedure so that my womb get diffused or something through which i can't become a mother again, There are a lot of miserable circumstance which is do not oppose my family, and also i can't share, So i am asking because of my health, Please suggest.
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
OPTIONS DISCUSSED, BUT THINK AGAIN

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Dear XXXXXXX I fully sympathize with you, and can understand your pain and rage at being forced to abort twice, that too, for the shameful reason that you mention.
You can actually expose your in laws and the torture you have been through, and live a healthy and happy life, possibly being a mother again.
There are long term methods of contraception.
You can opt for an intra uterine device - Copper T , Multiload or Mirena, as long as they are inside ( 3 - 5 years ) , you will not conceive.
If you are very desperate, you can go for tubal ligation ( tying of the tubes ) which will stop pregnancy.
Before doing this, consider your decision well, in future, if circumstances change, you might regret your decision.
It is always better to stand up to such evil torture instead of hiding it and bearing it.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: Suggest long term methods of contraception 29 hours later
Thank you XXXXXXX for your kind note, But i have decided myself to finish it over, So can you please explain more about tubal ligation ( tying of the tubes) and i don't want to go with any surgical procedure, I am more likely to go with medicine so that nobody get to know, since my family circumstances are getting worst, SO please suggest some medicine and the complete procedure.

once again thank you so much for all your kind help!!

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
OPTIONS AGAIN ELABORATED.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Just on a personal note - have you tried marriage counselling ?
Why deprive yourself permanently of the XXXXXXX of motherhood, or atleast the ability to become a mother ?
Tying of the tubes IS a surgical procedure, albeit, a very minor and quick one.
It can be done laparoscopically, and you can be home the same day itself.
As far as medications are concerned, there are none that would permanently make you sterile.
You would need to have a surgical procedure.
As I said, the intra uterine device can be kept for 3 , 5 or 10 years - there are various options.
Also, shots like the Depo Provera need to be taken every 3 months.
The implant is inserted under the skin and needs to be similarly renewed, as does the patch or a vaginal ring.
These are the options for you, dear XXXXXXX
Again, I fully empathize with your situation and urge you to try counselling as a tool before deciding anything.