Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Suggest iron supplements suitable for a cancer survivor

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2015
Answered : 312 Questions
my wife has iron def. anemia she also is a cancer surviver what iron should she take
Mon, 28 May 2018 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ferrous sulphate 200mg three times a day for at least 3 months

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
I have read your question and I understand your concern for your wife.
The fact that she has a history of cancer does not interfere with her iron deficiency treatment.
I would recommend ferrous sulphate, as stated above.
It is often associated with Vitamin C supplements, which you can have over the counter at the nearest pharmacy. Iron supplements are better absorbed with an empty stomach, but if your wife has a lot of gastro-intestinal irritation, she can take the tablet after her meal.
She will start to feel better a week after she has taken the first dose, and she will need to check her CBC every month. When the normal values are reached, then she will have to continue the iron supplements for three more months to replenish the iron stores.
She may experience side effects such as gastro-intestinel irritation, pain in the stomach, dark stool due to the supplements, but you do not have to worry about this. It is a normal side effect.
Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor