• question-icon

Suggest homeopathic remedy for tuberculomas

Posted on Mon, 11 Jul 2016 in General Health
Question: hello
my brother is suffering from tuberculomas .he is on treatment since last year . he is being administered rcinex 300/600 ,pzide 1500,valprol cr 500 ,oxetal 600 and lobazam 10 mg.he is not recovering and the doctor advised to start mdr tb drug ..so i am planning to start homeopathy also along with allopathic medicines ..can one use both medicines allopathic and homeopathic???is it safe?
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for asking from HCM.

I can understand your concern. Tuberculomas need treatment for long duration, from 18 to 24 months. Some doctors prescribe treatment till disappearance of lesions on MRI brain. So you need to be patient about it. As your brother is taking treatment for 1 year and he is not recovering much, what criteria were used to define poor recovery? Criteria which define failure of therapy are

: Continous deterioration of mental functions.
: New onset focal deficit
: Headache with vomiting, papilledema in eyes
: Recurret seizures
: Presence of same size lesions or new lesions with edema on contrast MRI brain.
: Progressive loss of weight, generalised weakness.

If your brother has developed any of above features, it means there was treatment failure. In such case, usual approach is

: Take biopsy of superficial lesion to confirm diagnosis and do culture-sensitivity to know about best anti tubercular medication.
: Rule out immunocompromization by getting HIV test, leucocyte count, CD4 and CD8 count. If anything positive, start retroviral therapy also.
: Treat nutritional deficiency.

Regarding homeopathic medication use, they are considered safe, non reactive with allopathic medication and prescribed by Homeopathic doctor, so as allopathic doctor, I cant advise you to start such medication. However, before starting, get your brother liver and kidney function tests done and tell his treating doctor about it. Sometimes taking too much medication can damage liver or kidney. So be careful about it. And try to discuss above mentioned possibilities with treating doctor before starting MDR anti tubercular drug.

Hope you got my point and it will help you. Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 42 hours later
my doctor has started mdr tb treatment for my brother ..the medicines are ethomid 250 mg 2 tablet twice a day ,oflox 400 one tablet twice a day, rcinex 600 one tablet once a day,cycloserine 500 one tablet twice a day,zenoxa 600 one tab twice a day,valprol cr 500 one tab twice a day,lobazam 10 mg one tab twice a day,benadon half a tablet and omnacortil 5 mg one tablet alternate day.
my question is that for how long the mdr tb course is done ..is rpob testing done in india??is any other drug need to be added in the treatment of mdr tb or is it okay?
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment duration and test facility

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX welcome back.

Your brother has been started on right treatment. No need of any other drug. Give him high calorie and protein diet.
The duration of therapy is 12-18 months depending upon response. Omnacortil 5 mg is a steroid which is started to prevent acute edema. It is given for first few weeks to months and then tapered off. Kindly discuss it with your treating doctor.
MRI brain is needed after every 6 months to know the status of tuberculoma. However there is no clear guidelines, it can vary from doctor to doctor.

Rpob facility is available in XXXXXXX There have been studies published on Rpob use in TB from XXXXXXX At XXXXXXX you can ask medical college like SGPGI/CSSMU or private laboratories like Lal path lab/Relgicare for details.

Hope you will find it helpful. If still in doubt, I would be happy to help you.

Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical