Suggest home remedy for vertigo

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I am experiencing bouts of vertigo. I have discussed with my doctor. Is there any kind of home treatment I can try before seeing a specialist?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not much that can be done at home ma'am, but here is what there is

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Well you should know ma'am that there are numerous causes for vertigo, and it is only a symptom and not a condition in itself. So you can only find minimum to no improvement from home remedies, but as this is what you have requested for I would love to oblige, here is my list:

+Make sure you change positions very slowly and make no swift movements (e.g. supine to sitting, or sitting to standing)
+No swift movements of your head
+Semont maneuver: Sit at the edge of your bed and turn your head 45 degrees to the right; lie down to your left side and stay still for about a minute or so; then move to lie down on the opposite side of your bed without changing the angle of your head; slowly return to a seated position ; make sure you do this at least 3-4 times a day
+Control blood pressure if at all you have fluctuations

Unfortunately there is nothing more than this to do that can help. Please also feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.