Suggest home remedies for vertigo and Meniere's disease

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 13 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: my wife has meniers and is terribly dizzy now, any home remedies?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Home remedies unlikely to help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Meniere's disease is a disorder of the inner ear that causes your wife to have episodes in which she feels as if she is spinning (vertigo), and she possibly has fluctuating hearing loss with a progressive, ultimately permanent loss of hearing, ringing in the ear (tinnitus), and sometimes a feeling of fullness or pressure in her ear. The organ of hearing lies in our inner ear (vestibulocochlear apparatus) and is also associated with the sense of balance. Sensorineural degenerative changes or even certain viral infections can give rise to such presentations. These are due to age related degenerative changes and therefore difficult to rendy (with home remedies or medicines).

However, there is a thin tube on each side connecting between the inner throat and the middle ear (Eustachian tubes). The purpose of these tubes is to equalize the air pressure inside the middle ear cavity. Mucus block of these tubes leads to pressure imbalance leading to indirectly affecting the vestibulocochlear apparatus. An audiometry needs to be done to understand the exact nature of the problem. Steam inhalation should help as water in form of vapor will reach deep inside. It would help in diluting the mucus, thus providing relief. This could help in reducing a sense of heaviness that could be there in the ears.

Vestibulocochlear stabilizing agents like cinnarizine or betahistine might be needed. Please discuss with her treating physician whether they would be right for her.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad