Suggest home remedies for burns

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
burnt myself 2 days ago with hot oatmeal,I was told by one of your DR. to put a cream called silverexor with silverex in it,on the area,but we are on the east coast and cannot get out of our home because of large storm,the burn does not hurt,howeverI have been gently patting it with soap and water to keep it clean,and two pieces of skin about 1inch long have come off,and have 1 spot between my brests that has blistered,what can I do from home,should I be cleaning it ? should the loose skin be removed ? covered or not ? could I use neosporen ?is anybody answering my question ?
Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, please see the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

There are obviously 1st and some 2nd-degree burns. Closed blisters should be left to heal on its own but skin who has pealed or blisters that burst should be gently removed with moisture gauze or during shower.

You should apply Neosporin on blisters and area where skin peeled off, but it is not required to apply if only redness is present. For first 3 days, you should apply cold wet compresses for 3x 20 minutes daily and in between it should be covered with sterile gauze or bandages.

If you have aloe Vera ointment you can out it too, this will help with pain and healing.

Wish you good health