Suggest home remedies for a persistent foot pain post an accident

Question
I have a friend that about 7-8 months ago was in a accident river rafting and got 1 foot caught on some rocks ,it twisted the foot sideways and off socket.by the time she could get to a dr. dr. said it would need to be rebroken, well didn't have it done. now the foot looks fairly normal but being on it for 8 hours at work and cold temps makes it ache at nite has tried Tylenol ibuprofen and other nsaid's . what could be some good home remedies to help? oh she is not into pills,thanks
Fri, 1 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I can give your friend some suggestions and I do understand why she may not want aggressive medical treatment. But I want to let you know that there is more risk of developing arthritis and pain down the road if bones aren't aligned well. So she might want to go back for an X-ray just to have an idea of where things are at.

That said, physical therapists are knowledgeable about and generally excellent at non-pill modalities as well as evaluating to see what the situation is. They can provide specific exercises for the particular weaknesses and also therapies such as ultrasound treatment. The exercises can be done at home over time.

So physical therapy for evaluation and treatment would be at the top of my list.

Massage therapy can help break up scarring/adhesion that may restrict her foot movement and create pain.

Acupuncture can be good for acute musculoskeletal injuries. It may not be too late to get help this way and help relieve pain. If, however, there is no improvement at all in 3 treatments done within 1 1/2 - 2 weeks, it may not be the thing for this injury.

Now about exercises, I would need more information including the specific parts of her foot that hurt, and what movements of the foot or ankle are limited.

If you can either describe in detail or upload digital photos with the area of the foot and ankle that are painful marked on it, then I can try to help. Exercises are specific to the muscles that are injured or bones/joints that are restricted.

-----------------------------------------