Suggest home remedies and exercises for hand pain caused by carpal tunnel syndrome

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 4 Sep 2018 in Back Pain
Question: Hi doctor i have carpal tunnel syndrome problem since 5 years but not regular.i suffer the pain when there is more work,I generally take pain killer and give rest to the hands.Can you suggest some exercise, home remedies and some wrist band for it.Since 3 days again i started getting the pain in fingers.Can you suggest some medicines for it.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steroids and exercise will help.

Detailed Answer:

First, you might try wearing a sprint (Wrist brace) at night for several weeks. If this does not work, you might need to start wearing this during the day. Avoid sleeping on your wrist and use of hot and cold compresses may be recommended. Occupational changes such as too much use of keyboards and positioning should be changed.

You can use medications such as non-steroidal antiinflammatory to alleviate the symptoms or you use injectable steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Prednisolone daily for two weeks (low dose steroids). Others that could be used are Hydrocortisone, and Triamcinolone for two weeks.Medications like Methylcobalamin and analgesics will also reduce pain. If pain is severe a neurotropic like Pregabalin can be added, you can take them after consulting your treating doctor.

Some exercises which can be done after the pain has reduced include- wrist rotation, elbow movement, shoulder rotation, neck rotation, and fist open and close. You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start TENS, or ultrasound, which is helpful in your case.

Some lifestyle modifications to prevent pain– Take breaks every 40 mins from the computer and do some neck rotations, stretches, walk and get back to work. Sit with taking support to your back and neck, and do not watch television constantly.
I will advise you to check your fit B12 and vit D3 levels also.

You may need to follow office ergonomics so that you remain pain free. I will advise you to connect a keyboard and mouse to a laptop so that working becomes easier. Using a wrist support mouse pad will also help.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for the reply can you give image or more details of sprint (Wrist brace).And also tablets instead of injections please.

Thanks,
Santoshi Thula
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Flammingo's wrist brace will help.

Detailed Answer:

You can ask for wrist brace for carpal tunnel - Flammingo's.
Regarding the medicines you can have tab. Tolagin and Nucort M4 twice a day and see if it helps. Do consult an orthopedician for a physical examination too so as to monitor the progress.

Dr. Praveen Tayal,
Orthopaedic Surgeon