Suggest good probiotic capsules available in India

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Can you please suggest good probiotic capsules available in XXXXXXX for general use? I want to take post an antibiotic course.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow the advises.. maintain a healthy lifestyle..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome Back to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern..

I appreciate your concern for using probiotic after antibiotic, however you should note that, in an otherwise healthy Adult, probiotic is not recommended after a single short course of antibiotic(simply because it's not required).. it's mainly recommended in individuals suffering from chronic infections who are mainly on long term antibiotics..

However, please also note, the best probiotic till date is natural resources eg. Curd/Yogurt, so taking them daily after meal will be sufficient in your case ..

If still you want to take probitics, Cap BIFILAC twice daily during or after meal for 15 days will be enough..

Hope your query is answered, please let me know if there's any further doubts..

Take Care
Kind Regards

For future reference you can always get in touch with me, below is my direct follow-up link through which you can contact me anytime anywhere, I'll be happy to help -

http://www.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=71041

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 33 hours later
Thank You so much doctor.

Just a brief case of mine - I have recurring persistent folliculitis since five years now. Antibiotics is the only thing that cures it when it flares up badly. I have tried every possible medication and the only solution that seems to work is precaution. But everytime it flares I need antibiotics. Few months back my sister from the US had got some good probiotic capsules for immunity and it seemed to work wonderful for me. I was clear of folliculitis for two months which was the longest in last four years. I used to take the capsules alternate day. Now I am on Augmentin 625 and I was thinking of buying probiotics from the market. Something which is good strains and not harmful. Also, I am allergic to dairy and so I don't consume curd or probiotics like Yakult.

Here in XXXXXXX I am unable to find good probiotics. I dont plan to take it for a long period. Please advise.

Thank You.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
go for VSL#3

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome back,

Thanks for sharing all those vital details..

Probiotic strains are not harmful, unless your specifically allergic to any one/others..

So, in view of the recurrence and persistence, it'd be better to go for a Comprehensive Allergic Panel test, to determine exactly which are the foods/supplements/other organic/inorganic agents to which your allergic, it'll help you a lot in long term to determine and schedule what to eat and what not to, and in another way it'll help your immunity to be intact (thus ward off folliculitis )..

You can try VSL#3 - 2 caps daily during or after food for a month, it's still one of the best probiotic available in worldwide market (yes it's available in big pharmacies and stores in XXXXXXX too)..

By the way, if it's recurring so often, you need to get yourself examined by a Dermatologist 'in Person' before starting on another course of antibiotics (simply because most of the time they're caused by antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria, where Co-Amoxyclav like antibiotics will be in-effective, another cause is recurrent fungal/viral folliculitis where again antibiotics will be ineffective)..

Even if both these scenario ruled out, you and your family members (who stay with you) still need to go for a screening nasal swab gm-stain and culture sensitivity to look for carrier state of micro-organism (which is very common in recurrent cases), please discuss these with the Dermatologist during Clinical Examination 'in person', if not done already..

Take Care
Kind Regards