• question-icon

Suggest generic form of Cymbalta for fibromyalgia treatment

Posted on Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in General Health
Question: I have been taking Cymbalta for several years for fibromyalgia. It is very expensive and I was glad to see there is an approved generic form. What does the generic form look like? When I received my mail order Rx it says Duloxetine - I want to make sure this is the generic for Cymbalta - if not, I will pay the high prices until the REAL generic becomes available. I realize duloxetine has been available for a long time, but I want the real thing. Did the pharmacy send me this by mistake??
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No, it is the real drug. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. Cymbalta is the brand name and duloxetin is the active ingredient in it. Because it has gone generic, just the name duloxetin would be on the generic form and not a brand name. This should be identical to cymbalta in every chemical composition and action in the body. However, the presentation may be different just like the same items are designed and branded differently in the real world. Go ahead and enjoy the benefits of a drug becoming generic. If you should have any concerns about how well it works for you, then please consider switching back after trying but, it would be very unlikely that something like that happens. I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and please do feel free to ask for more information if need. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 26 minutes later
It is my understanding that the generic form of Cymbalta has just recently been approved by the FDA. When will this be available to the public?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Already available to the public. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for following up with me. This drug is already available to the general public. Simply ask your pharmacy and pharmacist about the various options that are available. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD
Dr. Chobufo Ditah