Suggest food supplements to stop hair loss and regrow hair

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I m loosing my hair from forhead sides. My hairs are thimning. I want regrow my hair. Pla aasist with food intake and how to prevent this.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send details of the query & pictures

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the hair fall and related hair thinning.

The part of the query provided by you is bit short and therefore I request you to kindly provide me the details of your problem in terms of following :

- Since how long you have this hair fall.

- How many hairs fall off per day. Do you see these hair on your bed, pillows, bathroom and during combing too.

- Elaborate the areas of baldness- is it diffuse all over scalp or more in the front and sides.

- Any history of illness in last 1 year.

- Your occupation, daily routine with specific reference to your diet.

I can see one picture taken for left side. It would be best if you can upload few more good resolution pictures of the scalp area from front and sides and top. For uploading the pictures you have a facility on the right side of the page or can send on: YYYY@YYYY "attention:Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia". The pictures will be confidential and will not be available for anyone else to see except me.

Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-DERMATOLOGY
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 10 hours later
Dear Sir,

Thanks for quick revert. I've provided details below. Little concern of increasing the no of hair fall and my forehead is loosing more hairs.
Request your assistance with the food and exercise to regrow/prevent hair fall.

Since how long you have this hair fall.:- Last 3 years but the number of hair started falling is little high these days. I’ve moved XXXXXXX one year back.

- How many hairs fall off per day. Do you see these hair on your bed, pillows, bathroom and during combing too.;- Yes I see hair fall on my bed, Pillow around 20 to 25. Coming :- 10 to 15 and during shampooing :-15 to 20.

- Elaborate the areas of baldness- is it diffuse all over scalp or more in the front and sides.:- Only on the front and sides of the forehead

- Any history of illness in last 1 year.:- None
- No addiction. NO smoking and no drinking.

- Your occupation, daily routine with specific reference to your diet.:- Have work on my laptop around 10 to 12 hours a day. Sitting in office only.

Thanking you.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Male pattern baldness

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again and thanks for posting your details.

I can understand your concern for the problems related to hair. As a young man you are quite worried about all the things related to your scalp.

After analyzing your query I can make out that you have the condition known as male pattern baldness or medically known as "Androgenic Alopecia".

It is quite common to find hair fall in men which is known as "male pattern baldness" is most common cause of hair fall in young men like you.

Before I directly to you concern let me explain you some medical facts regarding hair fall.

We have almost 1 lac hair on our scalp and amongst them around 5% of hair are in falling phase and then another 0.1% (around 100) of hair can fall everyday. In males this is super-added with hormonal influence of testosterone hormone ( the male hormone) which we call as "male pattern baldness". This also depends upon genetics- meaning type and pattern of hair your family pattern (from your father and mother's side).

This process of falling starts by 20 years and is highest in between the age of 20 to 30 years. I can see you are a young man of 33 years. So it is quite obvious that you can have this problem of hair fall just because of hormonal influence.

So, as I said earlier your problem is basically Androgenic alopecia or simply saying male pattern baldness. It affects mainly frontal and parietal region of the scalp as in your case too. The temporal and region is rarely affected and occipital region is never affected in this condition. So the most important thing is not to be worried about this normal physiological age related men's problem.

Now regarding the part of treatment:

There are innumerable products in the market claiming to be useful for hair growth. We dermatologists believes in application of Minoxidil lotion. It is one product which is unanimously used by all dermatologists. It is to be started with 2% lotion applied over the scalp once or twice in day.

It is to be applied when the scalp is dry. Only 1 ml is sufficient to be applied at the root of hair in frontal region. If for one month there is no burning and irritation then we increase the percentage to 5 % to 10% gradually. The same we do to taper off the medicine. That means we do not stop the medicine at once and gradually taper it off to 5% and then 2% and then alternate day or off and application of lotion before stopping it completely.

I prefer to give a tablet containing biotin and other essential nutrients along with minoxidil.

I would like to suggest you to have a good nourishing diet along with all the medicines because that is quite very helpful in retaining the hair and maintaining it better.

Hope these informations will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)