Suggest food supplements to increase weight post delivery
My Wife is 24 years old and we have a baby of 14 months. I noticed that her weight is reducing ( I did not monitor her but by looking at her I am guessing). I also would like to mention that she does not eat more food like green vegetables and all. I asked her to eat but she says she does not like to eat. Here my request is there any way to increase her weight by taking any protein supplements or do I need to go for any blood test before taking any supplement..
Also after mother's feeding her chest size has reduced a lot.
Please guide us further..
It is better to monitor growth on growth chart
Thanks for the query
There are growth charts available on the internet as per guidelines of XXXXXXX academy of pediatrics. This chart contains a graph including weight and height of child. It is very easy and better way to monitor the growth. Hereby I am providing you the link
I would suggest you to follow this chart for proper assessment.
The average weight for this age is about 10-11 kgs and the calorie requirement for this age is around 1000 kcal. This caloric need should be met by protein, fat and carbohydrate. Unlike adult children of this age have much higher need of fat as per their growth. Make the food energy dense by adding ghee/butter. Use cheese as it has a high caloric value. Give at least 3 large(one katori) and two small serving with breast feed in between. If you are non vegetarian you can give egg to the child as it has high protein content. The children of this age are very choosy or fussy regarding feeding. You may give small frequent feed if she is not willing to take large servings. Adding pediatotal a supplementation to milk also increases the calorie value. Don't force the baby for feed and spend more time for feeding. Give fruits like apple, banana, papaya and cheeko as this help in full filling the antioxidant and vitamin need. Increasing the variety helps in increasing palatability and better acceptance of feeds.
By monitoring the growth on chart will help you in better assessment of both growth and nutritional need.
I hope this answers your query .
If you have any more doubt I shall be glad to solve it.
The weight loss is usual after the pregnancy
It was my mistake that I did not read the question carefully.I really apologize for that.
The usual weight gain during pregnancy is 8-10 kg and this is usually recovered after the delivery of baby.The caloric requirement is increased during pregnancy and lactation period.About additional 400 kcal of energy and 15 gm of protein is needed in lactation period.
The normal diet does not meet the incraesed nutritional requirement.Extra calorie demand should be met by proving energy dense feed.If the nutritional requirement is not provided mother's body uses the energy reserves to meet the baby's need(through milk production).
The observed weight loss may be due to inadequate diet during the lactation period.Give good quality protein like pulses,cheese,paneer,nuts,soyabean and milk along with green vegetables and fruits.You can give protein supplement(Proteinex/horlicks) in the milk(this is safe).If you are non vegetarian give egg and meat.The breast size also increases during pregnancy and lactation.Continuing breast feed helps in maintaining the size and shape of breast.There are various other protein supplements available in the market but the reliability is not well established.So I recommend to give protein rich food instead of using the supplements.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Child is underweight suggest some food supplement to gain weight
- Food supplements that help increase weight
- What supplements should i take to increase weight
- Does iron supplement increase hunger and weight
- Food supplements for weight gain
- Can mx3 food supplement reduces weight
- Which supplements will work to increase my weight
- Suggest the supplement to treat post orgasmic illness syndrome
- Post cholecystectomy supplements
- What food diet and supplements will aid weight gain
- What does my stool test report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for respiratory tract infection in an infant
- Suggest treatment for chesty cough and blocked nose
- What does this CECT abdomen report indicate?
- Suggest remedy for cough and breathing problem in an infant
- What causes recurrent pain abdomen with vomiting?
- What is the cause and treatment for poor appetite in an infant?
- Suggest treatment for low appetite and different pattern of behavior in...
- Suggest treatment for asthma in a 5 year old
- What causes swollen lymph node in groin area of a child?