Suggest food chart for 8 months old

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 23 Feb 2015 in Child Health
Question: My babies are 8 months old.what all we should give them to eat apart from milk and cerelac.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
fruits and vegetable puree

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

At 8 mths, they should be using milk, cereals and fruits and vegetables. The foods should be initially very smooth (pureed) ,as they age the consistency is changed to reach finger foods.

Only one is introduced at a time. One fruit or vegetable is introduced over a 3 to 4 day period.
During that time, the baby is monitored for any signs of allergic reaction to the food introduced.
This is the reason why only one food is started at a time, so it would be easy to determine what is causing the reaction if one occurs.

The vegetables that can be used are pumpkin, squash, carrots, sweet potato

Fruits- banana,pears, apples,peaches

Initially one tsp is sufficient but this can be increased gradually to 1 tsp twice daily to 1/8 to 1/4 cup twice a day.

As the foods are introduced, you would start introducing protein as well- beans,peas, meats- all initially pureed but the texture changing slowing so that they can start using solid food

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions