Suggest exfoliating soaps and scrubs to remove black heads

Dr. Johny Chacko

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have lot of black heads in my face and want to remove it. I had discussion with a general doctor in healthcare magic and he suggested to use Exfoliative soaps and scrubs or go with Dermabrasion process in cosmetics clinic. Can you please suggest a way to remove black heads from my face? Can you suggest any good Exfoliative soaps and scrubs for face wash?
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dermatosis papillosa nigra

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are concerned about black spots on your face.

I have seen the clinical pictures that you have attached.

The black dots which you have are called Dermatosis papillosa nigra. These are small raised black dots which are on the temple and below the eye. They are like miniature skin tags. They need to be removed by a procedure called Electrocautery.
In this procedure, an anaesthesia cream is applied on the lesions to numb them. After the skin is adequately anaesthetised, the dots are burnt off by using a probe.
This is a simple procedure which may take about 1 hour- 1 1/2 hours.

Hope this helps you.

if you have any more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow up: Dr. Johny Chacko 5 minutes later
Thanks for the detailed answer. Can you please tell cause of this black dots? Is there any other alternative to cure this instead of going through Electrocautery? Whether Exfoliative soaps and scrubs will cure this black dots?If so can you please suggest exact name to buy?
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dermatosis papillosa nigra

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back.

There is no exact cause for these spots to appear. In many patients, it is genetic and it runs in families. These spots are harmless and will not turn into cancer or cause any systemic problem. They have to be removed purely for cosmetic reasons.

There are no creams / soaps / scrubs to remove these spots. The only treatment is electrocautery procedure.

Hope this answers your query.

Dr. Johny Chacko
Follow up: Dr. Johny Chacko 10 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up answers.

After electrocautery , is there any chance of getting this black spot again? Can you please tell approx how much it would cost for doing electrocautery?
Also can you suggest good clinic to do electrocautery?
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dermatosis papillosa nigra

Detailed Answer:

There is a chance of getting the spots back again as there is no specific cause and it could be familial. But they will develop gradually over many years and you can get them cauterized every 5 years or so if it affects you cosmetically.

I see that you are from XXXXXXX There are lots of good dermatologists there.The cost depends from center to center. Most dermatologists charge Rs 50- 100 per lesion. Please visit a good dermatologist to get the procedure. I am sorry I do not have any personal contacts.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Johny Chacko