Suggest exercises to treat forward head posture due to heavy breasts

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Back Pain
Question: I have had bad posture for most of my life. I am a 50 year old female and since I developed breasts at 10-14 years, I tried to minimize their appearance (consciously and unconsciously) by a forward curving posture. My breasts have always been larger than average and I feel that their weight is physically causing the posture problem beyond the psychological issue of trying to conceal them or trying to stand up straight. Also, I inherited curved shoulders from my father. Are there any exercises or anything else that you would recommend to improve my posture? A cardiologist recommended that I have someone tape my back every day to remind me to maintain good posture throughout the day; however I live alone so this is not possible. I have seen several cardiologists for chest pain incidents over the last 5 years. The one who recommended the tape (and wearing sports bras rather than standard bras) stated that the chest pain was probably due to "musculoskeletal reasons." The chest pain incidents have also been correlated to stress. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yoga will definitely help !

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I have read your query and can understand your problem.

Yes, the chest pain can be caused by stress and bad posture as well. Heavy breasts if unsupported can cause pain near the ribs as well.

I suggest that you join a Yoga classes. It will definitely help you gain confidence in your body and it will teach you a lot about unconsciously maintaining great posture. Plus it helps in reducing stress significantly.

Also I hope you are on a diet rich in calcium and Vitamin D because you can be prone for Osteoporosis or weak bones at this age onwards which can aggravate the pain.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 24 hours later
Thank you. Beyond yoga classes, would you recommend specific exercises for the back or shoulders?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Low back and trapezius strengthening

Detailed Answer:
Yea. Low back strengthening and bilateral trapezius strengthening exercises will do.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng