Suggest exercises to strengthen thigh muscles

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My brother has been operated for ACL reconstruction on 7th May.
Currently he has been told to strengthen his thigh muscles as its week.

He gets click sound a bit while walking and finds walk down the stairs difficult.

I have heard of few exercises like Isometric and therabam to strengthen thighs muscle.

Request you to please advise exercises which he must follow to strengthen his thigh muscles.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can also squat with support of wall to back.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

As per your symptoms you need to do physiotherapy and knee exercises to improve range of motion.
Initially quadriceps strengthening and range of motion exercises are important later on against résistance theraband exercises.
You can flex and extend knee while lying supine flat on bed with foot resting on bed.
With standing position you can lift your patella superiorly as you do in quadriceps strengthening exercises.

You can lift straight leg up and down while lying supine flat on bed.
Same you can do lying on one side.
You can also squat with support of wall to back and gradually increase knee range of motion.
Gradual walking and running, swimming later on and playing sports is last step of rehabilitation.
Use hinged knee brace to while walking in stairs.
Do not worry for click sound.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.