Owl Image

Suggest evaluation of pelvis ultra sound scaning report

Owl Image
Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Question
Pelvis ultra sound scaning - Findings:
1. Urinary Bladder is normal in contours. No Calculi. Wall thickness appears normal.
2. UTERUS: 97x42x54mm.
Bulky in size with hypertrophied cervix and multiple nabothian cysts. ET: 7mm
3. Both Ovaries are normal in size, shape and echotexture.
No evidence of focal lesion/cyst noted.
Right ovary measures: 23x21mm
Left ovary measures: 24x22mm
No evidence of free fluid noted in the pelvis.
Impression: Bulky uterus with hypertrophied cervix and multiple nabothian cysts - Cervicitis..

What do you advise ? I need a second opinion. Thanks
Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW.

Detailed Answer:

Your ultrasound scan report shows bulky uterus with hypertrophied cervix and multiple nabothian cyst - Cervicitis. All other parameters are NORMAL.

1) BULKY UTERUS - It is called adenomyosis. It occurs when the endometrial lining grows into the muscle of the uterus. Women having children and older than 30 years are more likely to develop a bulky uterus.

If you DON'T have period irregularity or heavy bleeding problem and pain, then you DON'T require any treatment.

In symptomatic cases, medical treatment is required by the means of NSAIDs (Painkiller), Levonorgestrel- Releasing IUD, Progesterone therapy, Danazol etc.

Uterine ablation (family completed) or hysterectomy may be required in extreme cases. Kindly, consult with your gynecologist for complete evaluation and proper management of the case.

2) HYPERTROPHIED CERVIX - It occurs due to chronic infection and inflammation of cervical mucosa with glandular tissue. It is often related to Cervical Dysplasia.

There is NO specific treatment known for hypertrophied cervix. If you do not have a white discharge and PAP smear test is NORMAL, then you DON'T need to worry much regarding this.

In symptomatic cases (abnormal PAP test), some treatment may be required like Cryosurgery, LASER therapy, LEEP or Cone Biopsy.

3) NABOTHIAN CYST - It is a mucus-filled cyst on the surface of the cervix. It is harmless and disappears by own without further treatment.

However, in case of large cyst or chronic cervicitis, a colposcopy or biopsy on a nabothian cyst may need to carry out for checking cancer. Treatment includes electrocautery and cryofreezing.

TO SUMMARIZE: Visit to your gynecologist for clinical examination and necessary investigation for complete evaluation.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326