question-icon

Suggest energy enhancing beverages that helps a sports-person

Posted on Fri, 11 Dec 2015
Question: I am a badminton player and need your advice on the following:
1. what kind of beverages can i have in pre, post and during practice / match sessions.
2. I have pains in my rotator cuff muscles on right hand after continuous matches.
3. I need to have same amount of endurance for hours, not losing energy
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu (51 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Need Electrolyte solutions, warmup and frequent breaks

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

You need to have Electrolyte rich fluids and plenty of water before your game .

Drink Gatorade or Lemonade.

Do warmup exercises before your game as this will reduce the incidence of muscle injuries especially Rotator cuff muscles.

The more breaks you take the better for your endurance because the muscles need their recuperation and adequate blood supply.

Eat high protein diet. Keep well hydrated.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon